Saturday, October 1, 2011

 Burlap Acorns



IMG_4651 IMG_4650 I was asked by a few people to do a tutorial on my acorns. I am sooooo flattered but this will be my first tutorial so bear with me.
Here is where I got my inspiration – My mothers $10 acorns she bought at an expensive specialty shop.
IMG_4676
They seem to have a Styrofoam base covered with real leaves…perhaps ModPodged on to the Styrofoam. Yes, I could have bought Styrofoam balls and shaped it into an acorn shape but I wanted to do this project using the things I had on hand.
-Speaking of hand…the first step to make my version of these acorn is to fold your burlap and trace your hand onto it using a sharpie and cut it out. Your fingers will be the point/bottom of the acorn and your palm will be the top, where the acorn lids will be attached.IMG_4677
-You will have pieces of fabric -a front and a back. You will pin the sides together and sew. Be sure to leave an inch or 2 of opening at the top (the PALM) so you can stuff your acorn.
-Once it is sewn- stuff it! To close the opening I simply hot glued it closed. The top will be covered by the acorn lids so it will not be seen.
-Once the opening is closed start to glue on your acorn lids around the opening and slightly down the sides. I eyeballed it to see how many rows of acorn to add. If I had gaps I simply added another acorn lid on top to cover it.
IMG_4683
-For the bottom I added (with hot glue) one lid which had a bigger stem -
IMG_4686
-For the top I added a checked ribbon to make a ‘stem’. I glued the edges of the ribbon and stuck it in between the lids so the edges could not be seen.
IMG_4684
And there you go! Easy as pie!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment